[nflug] DSL

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Apr 20 13:54:55 EDT 2006

I got DSL and VoIP working for my partner in Windoze.  There were some
pretty big bumps, but it's all smooth now.

Now, I want to do it for my desktop running Mandrake 9.1.  (I'd wait to
get a new system, but other people in the house need the phone when I'm
online.)

I have two ethernet cards in the box that both seem to work, but I never
used them much under Windows  and not at all under Linux.  One is a 3Com
PCI 3c900 that Linux seems to like.  The other is a Network Anywhere
card (700?) that doesn't seem to show up in dmesg.

I don't really know much about configuring firewalls or ethernet.

 From configuring the Verizon DSL for my partner, I know the modem lives
at 192.168.1.1 (and uses a few others in the 192.168.1.x range).  It has
an html user interface.  Verizon does _not_ use PPPoE.  I believe it
needs DHCP instead.

Is this going to be a big deal to figure out or is it fairly simple?

Is there a *really* *simple* howto I can read?

I don't want to do any server stuff at all with the possible exception
of using a bit torrent client and that's nice, but not necessary. I just
want to get the connection working for Internet access and email and be
sure that I'm reasonably well protected against attacks.  As it stands
now, I've never had a security problem with the default configurations
using dial up.

TIA

Joe

dmesg segment about the 3com card

Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0e.0
eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xf800, 00:20:78:05:A4:F4, IRQ 9.
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0f.0
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
00:0f.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Boomerang 10baseT at 0xfc40. Vers LK1.1.18-ac
00:60:08:aa:0a:94, IRQ 9
  product code 4b46 rev 00.0 date 10-26-97
  Internal config register is 302d8, transceivers 0xe108.
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, 10baseT interface.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
00:0f.0: scatter/gather enabled. h/w checksums disabled

I looked in /dev and don't see anything like eth0, etc. so I may need to
load one or more modules.