[nflug] rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 14:27:18 EDT 2006

--- Justin Bennett <Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com> wrote:

> I've got a redhat 3 box, with several partitions on it. It's sharing
> them via NFS without a problem. Except one file system while
> exporting
> it I get a
> rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
>
> I have no syntax difference in /etc/exports for that or any other
> partition.

run exportfs on the nfs server to see what's exported and note if all
exports are listed.  If you have a typo in /etc/exports it tends to
ignore that line.

is the rpc.mountfd error on the nfs server or nfs client?

Also when making chanegs to /etc/exports, it's wise to run "exportfs -r
; exportfs -a", typically the -r option is enough,  but I've found on
some distro's and/or kernels both are requred.

Dave J. Andruczyk