midi

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Oct 10 21:21:03 EDT 2005

Ok, I played with this a while back because my step-mother was using FC
and some friend of hers was sending her midi files or stupid emails with
midi's playing as background music, etc.. You can tell your email app to
use timidity but then you notice that you can't stop the file until the
end because you have not gui control, etc.. So, you already have it
installed, good. You could easily do "yum install timidity++" for those
that don't have it. However, this won't give you a gui, it needs to be
compiled in and the called when executing the binary. Go to
http://timidity.sourceforge.net and download the lastest, LEAVE THE ONE
YOU HAVE INSTALLED ALREADY, you'll see why in a minute. Compile the
downloaded timidity, I used the following options, the install file
explains all,
./configure --enable-audio=default
--enable-interface=gtk,ncurses,motif,tcltk,xskin,slang --enable-network
--enable-spectrogram
Then make, make install. This will put the executable in
/usr/local/bin/timidity. One HUGE thing that will be missing is the
timidity.cfg file but the install from yum (or rpm) will have one at
/etc/timidity.cfg. Copy this file to
/usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg. Do a "which timidity", if it
comes back /usr/local/bin/timidity it's ok, that's the one put on from
the compile, if not, after you copied the cfg file, you can rpm -e the
installed timidity rpm (rpm -qa|grep midity) will give the exact name,
left some out for case, etc. The whole reason to leave or use the
rpm/yum install was to get the cfg file, if you have a look at that
monster, you'll see it's no cake to figure out.
Now, timidity -ig should fire it up with the gtk gui, try it out, let me
know.