Security

Brad Bartram bradbartram at ccsisp.com
Sun Jan 9 02:53:58 EST 2005

Hi Bob -

Security is a difficult thing to wrap your head around when you are new to a
particular Operating System or Technology.  Don't feel bad - if you can
harden a windows box, Unix is really not a problem.

First, I would start out by reading the security how-to over at tldp.org.  You
can also look around for some older articles named armoring linux | red hat |
solaris - it's been a while since I've looked at them so my memory of the
title might be a little off.

Second - when doing an install of any Linux, or other OS for that matter, make
sure you do it in a secure environment.  This is most commonly meant as do it
behind a firewall on a network you trust.  Never, ever, ever install an OS
and just leave it hanging out on the 'net.  Over at project honeynet they did
a test and a new, default install of red hat lasted about 15 minutes before
it was compromised.

As you do the install of a red hat (ish) system, it will ask you if you want a
firewall enabled.  DO IT.  The install tool will set up a nice iptables
firewall locally on your system.  As a general rule, if in doubt, don't open
a port.

Red Hat, and most of the other distros, tend to start a lot of services by
default.  This includes opening up the dreaded port 111, rpc.  Unless you are
going to run an NFS server or client, make sure one of two things happens -
either turn off all NFS related daemons or firewall them.  Only open your
firewall to trusted sources.  On a home network, or even a small business
network, you should know where your traffic will originate, so filtering
based on it shouldn't be too difficult.

Finally, make sure you watch your system.  Keep an eye on the logs.  Most of
teh time you can tell if there's been snoopers a-foot simply by watching your
logs and following up on any suspicious information.  Almost all of the
attacks you will encounter will be from automated kiddie scipts and such.  As
a rule, they tend to be noisy so if one of these script kiddies is targeting
your network, you shoiuld be able to see it pretty clear.

But above all - keep your system up to date. As a priority, make sure any
outward facing services are updated to the latest stable or patched as soon
as patches are available.

If you do these things, Linux can be very stable as well as adequately secure
for a very long time.  And never be afraid to get your hands dirty in the
command prompt, as that's where you can really get a feel for what your
system is doing.

Hope this helps

brad