Security

Advent Systems adventsystems at verizon.net
Sun Jan 9 01:56:28 EST 2005

Cyber Source & Dave Andruczyk,
    Just want you guys to know I'm not some asshole because all the help
re: small network and I did not reply or thank you sooner BUT none of
that matters now.  You see  on the 1st I believe my system was cracked,
broken into, whatever you want to call it.  I'm not sure because in
15-18 years of using computers I haven't had as much as a virus
(well,maybe 1-2).  All I know is the day before I was updating my system
via apt-get and It kept getting "stuck" at some site in ca. called slug
something.  I ......you know what, this is not the purpose of this
email, If anyone wants all the particulars email me off the list.
    The Problem is this; 18 years of working on windows systems left me
knowing how to harden them and my windows boxes were untouched.  With
Linux (I'm a newbie), a 10 yr. old boy could attack my Linux box and
did.  I've gotten so side tracked with just getting the system installed
and usable I forget all about security.  I've been using SuSE and
mandrake for a few years and I guess the combination of there
pre-packaged click & go security, there manuals and Linux not being as
popular, left me with a false sense of security.  Since switching to FC2
I have NO idea.  Ive purchases a number of highly regarded Linux/Unix
books and they explain how to secure NASA :) but nothing on how to
harden a simple laptop.  Is the Red Hat-9 users guide the same as FC2?
I cant find a straight answer.  By default, I got services running and
ports open all over the place.  I've been closing and shutting them
down, and it screws everything up and I have to re-install (like 5-10
times).
    What are the BARE min. services and ports that need to be running
and what do you FC2 guys do to keep the average jerk out of your systems
(I know there nothing that can be done against a smart, concentrated attack)
    As far as the small network goes I cant even think about taking my
machine off the windows network until I learn and understand Linux security.

Sorry this was so long but nothing like this ever happened to me before.
Thanks again,
Bob Randal