Fun thread + difficulty with gentoo

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 5 19:17:50 EST 2005

The first thought I have is not any application, but simply (as
previously mentioned) all the nifty window managers, PLUS the fact that
you don't even need a window manager, as opposed to having the damn
windoze (TM) there to block you OUT of the actual system.

Along the same line of thinking, there are also the multiple desktops.
At first I didn't really understand them so they seemed sort of
pointless, but now I generally have things running all over the place
(minimising can be so tedious), so when I must return to M$land to
change the songs on my mp3 player or something, the FIRST feeling I get
is one of stufling claustrophobia. Quit crowding me, billyboy. Gimme
some room to breath!

While I'm here, I've been meaning to ask if anyone here can suggest a
good site for working through a somewhat frustrating gentoo
installation. (other than the actual gentoo site, which hasn't helped me
much). After the second try (from the beginning), I have a working
system going, all the way up to "startx" which brings me to a very basic
x session (xterm on a black screen), but then following the instructions
from the gentoo site doesn't seem to help much.

Emerge, which was working perfectly all through the rest of the
installation, fails inexplicably (I can't remember the actual error
wording because I set it aside a couple of weeks ago out of frustration,
and it's on the same computer I'm using now on a different removable
HD), so I haven't been able to install much of anything on it except the
system itself.  I seem to recall someone here recently speaking very
highly of a gentoo system of theirs, and the whole reason for the
removable HD on this box was so I could toy with different OS's without
having to triple- or quadruple-boot the thing (which I haven't figured
out yet either, since each distro's version of grub seems to want to
take over the boot proces).  I put a second HD in here, so that I could
still have all my essential data handy no matter which system was
booted, but this whole gentoo failure has me pretty much stumped.

Thanks,
S.