Linux Firewall

Dennis Ruzeski dennisr at corp.kanoodle.com
Wed Feb 9 08:32:53 EST 2005

There's 2 routes you can go- Either roll your own from your favorite distro (using IPTables and IP Masquerading.. The IPTables How-To is most helpful here), or go with one of the many many pre-made firewall distros- Smoothwall, IPCop, Coyote-Linux, Astaro-- The list goes on and on. Go to http://freshmeat.net and search the security projects. The homepages of most projects have great info on 5 w's of firewalls.

FYI- I use IPCop- It can run on very modest hardware, has a built-in dhcp server, IDS (Snort), keeps great logs, has a super easy to use GUI and has VPN support.

--Dennis