[nflug] Really dumb ftp question

Roelant Ossewaarde rao3 at buffalo.edu
Fri Dec 16 11:51:23 EST 2005

Does this FTP-server run under user ftp? If so, are you sure that
that user actually can chdir and write to that directory? (check with
su)

Also, could the user that is trying to log in have a shell that is
not listed in /etc/shells? Many FTP-servers only allow people to log
in with a valid shell that is listed there.

What is the output of /var/log/ftpd or /var/log/messages?