[nflug] Sound and ALSA (a little skype)

Ron Maggio ronmaggio2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 18:55:24 EST 2005

Hi, John
 What brand of video card was it? I wonder if it has a good rating, cause I was interested in getting a card with bigger memory for my P4. But the cost makes me wonder if its worth the trouble to go through upgrading.

 Thanks, Ron:)

JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote: I have spent a few days hating that my video card died more than I needed to -
does that mean I'm happy my 100s of dollars card took a header - NO but I am
less upset about what I have in the meantime.

I was chatting with Pete the other day and asked about how sound and video
might be conflicting for an IRQ - but I could not find good evidence to support
this - I replaced an Nvidia 256M  card with an Nvidia 256 M card.  Both same
AGP type same slot etc.

When I rebooted with the borrowed video card I had no sound.  I assumed that
the IRQ must have moved or something to that effect and I reran alsaconf and
everything seemed OK.  I noticed that a lot of apps - movies, sound, games,
sounded horrible lots of static and noise - then my spouse pointed out that
Skype would dial then screech like it was connecting to a Fax machine.

Long story short I turned down the volume and microphone settings via alsamixer
until I had a good range of volume with the manual speaker control and the
noise and screeching went away.  This may seem like an easy thing to most of
you but if one person avoids wasted time trying to figure out what is wrong
with their card when all it is is a software settings issue then my e-mail met
its intended purpose.

I had chosen somewhere around 90 because it seemed nice and high while leaving
a small bit of room at the top if I needed to raise it more but it was actually
pushing too much noise and picking up too much causing the loops.  Around 75
was better.

Also skype has a great test tool for sound and microphone.  Just put into the
dial pad 'echo123' and an answering machine like voice will tell you you have
10 seconds to talk then beep  - talk until the next beep and it will be played
back.  Fantastic for testing audio levels - is capture needed on the mic etc
etc.

JJN