[nflug] kernel grubbing- was: gentoo/alsa/kernel question

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Tue Dec 13 13:31:53 EST 2005

Thanks for the tips, Dave.

I was able to distract myself from this problem for a while with other
digital difficulties, but I feel like this install won't feel finished
until I get this damn sound working (not yet).

Dave Andruczyk wrote:

> No, it's missing info in your modules.conf
> add this to /etc/modules.d/alsa and when done run "modules-update as root" and

Did that, ran modules-update"

> run "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart" and it should start and work.

Should, perhaps, but didn't.
when I try "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart", I get:

 # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1163: No soundcards found...
  [ !! ]
 * Unloading ALSA ...                      [ ok ]
 * Unloading ALSA modules ...              [ ok ]
 * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
[ ok ]

 IF it
> doesn't you can cheat like me and add "snd-emu10k1" to
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and that causes all the other ALSA stuff to
> be loaded in on bootup.

Did the cheat, too, but it doesn't.

>>But I still have no idea how to update grub to find the new kernel,
>>something I would truly like to learn, as I have a suse8.2 box here with
>>a ridiculously old kernel (and an equally ridiculous amount of
>>configuration after a couple of years of heavy use that I don't
>>particularly want to just install over with something else if I can tuck
>>a new kernel in there and make some things work that aren't at the moment.
>

> Easy,  what I do is FIRST before running genkernel or manually building a
> kernel is to COPY the old kernel and initrd (if used) to a backup file.  The
> kernel and initrd's are stored in /boot. (make sure you have it mounted)  I
> always make a backup copy of my kernel/initrd and edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to
> reference the new files so that just in case genkernel overwrites my old kernel
> (can hapen when recompiling an already existing (read: not NEW) kernel.
>

> Dave J. Andruczyk
Perhaps since I didn't copy the old kernel it was overwritten?
/boot looks like this:

 # ls /boot/
System.map-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
boot
grub
initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
lost+found

I only see one of each there, so I'm not sure what to tell grub to do.
But if this is the new kernel, then theoretically the alsa stuff should
be on, no?
I got a new error, anyway, which is always fun ;-)
Any more tricks to recommend?

Thanks again,
S.