[nflug] kernel grubbing- was: gentoo/alsa/kernel question

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 19:42:00 EST 2005

--- Stephen Burke <qfwfq at adelphia.net> wrote:

> OK, I emerged alsa-drivers and alsa-utils, but alsaconf gives me:
>
>        No supported PnP or PCI card found.
> 		 x   xx  x
> 	Would you like to probe legacy ISA sound cards/chips?
>
> The sound card in here is an SBLive (emu10k1) that was new a month ago
> and working well the last time I was running the 2k side, so I can't
> imagine how it could have come unseated.
> Perhaps that means there's no Soundcore support in the first genkernel?

No, it's missing info in your modules.conf
add this to /etc/modules.d/alsa and when done run "modules-update as root" and
run "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart" and it should start and work.  IF it
doesn't you can cheat like me and add "snd-emu10k1" to
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and that causes all the other ALSA stuff to
be loaded in on bootup.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1

> But I still have no idea how to update grub to find the new kernel,
> something I would truly like to learn, as I have a suse8.2 box here with
> a ridiculously old kernel (and an equally ridiculous amount of
> configuration after a couple of years of heavy use that I don't
> particularly want to just install over with something else if I can tuck
> a new kernel in there and make some things work that aren't at the moment.

Easy,  what I do is FIRST before running genkernel or manually building a
kernel is to COPY the old kernel and initrd (if used) to a backup file.  The
kernel and initrd's are stored in /boot. (make sure you have it mounted)  I
always make a backup copy of my kernel/initrd and edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to
reference the new files so that just in case genkernel overwrites my old kernel
(can hapen when recompiling an already existing (read: not NEW) kernel.

Dave J. Andruczyk