[nflug] RE: Red Hat 7.2

Greg Neumann DadNeumann at verizon.net
Wed Dec 7 17:33:58 EST 2005

Ron,
No cost for patches/updates. Just download 'em from the Slackware
site. They also have mailing lists for security and package updates,
as well. But be sure to check out Jesse's response. I actually prefer
Slackware to everything else I've tried.
Be aware that Slackware doesn't provide kernel patches (official or
custom). That's something left to the end user as knowing best when a
kernel should be patched, and how.
Slackware's setup is color text menu (ncurses?) driven, and I
generally recommend the "expert" setting, as you get the best
"granularity" in your setup that way. It helps to have a decent Linux
reference on hand to help you on obscure package elements.
Ubuntu is my choice for people who ask me about Linux but don't want
to really learn about "what's under the hood".
Jesse, does Ubuntu provide an SMP kernel that will work with the
Pentium Pro with the installs? I never got far enough w/ my silly
setup to find out. The base kernel installed and booted, but Ubuntu
always hung on the X startup after the initial install rebooted the
system, so I never could find out. I'll bet that Ron could get farther
than I can with that TNT M64.
And, sorry, my Matrox is only 4 meg. :'(
-Greg