[nflug] RE: Red Hat 7.2

Ron Maggio ronmaggio2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 15:16:38 EST 2005

Hi, Greg
  Ah, yes. Sorry its a TNT2 M64 32mb mem.
  Sounds like Slackware maybe a possibility, but what about patches/updates is there any cost to get them, or are they free to download?

  Thanks, Ron:)

Greg Neumann <DadNeumann at verizon.net> wrote:
  Ron,
The only thing I've been able to get to run "out of the box" on my
dual Pentium Pro
196 meg RAM
Matrox Millennium GX 8 meg PCI video,
has been Slackware. Right now, I'm using Slackware 10.0 with both a 2.4
series and a 2.6 series custom compiled kernels, mostly to get the SMP
stuff right.
If by "TXT2 M64" you meant "TNT2 M64", it should run quite nicely with
an "out of the box" install.
I'm surprised Ubuntu won't work. I would think the TNT M64 would be seen
in the autodetect. Jesse?
Much as I'm a "devout" Slacker, Ubuntu's pretty darn good for somebody
who doesn't want to do a lot of tweaking to get things going. Be advised
that you may have to custom compile a kernel to get something as old as
a Pentium Pro to run SMP. That's not a big deal in Slackware. I don't
know about other new distros, as they won't work on my system anyway. :-(
-Greg