[nflug] Looking for Sharp Zaurus -> Cell Phone/Dial-Up Solution

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Fri Dec 2 17:06:00 EST 2005

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, David Dudek wrote:

> I feel your pain.  I had a Sharp Zaurus 5600 myself.  I still think it's
> the best mobile device to ever come out, but I always felt that by using
> it I was on a very lonely bleeding edge.  It always seemed that most of
> the community development efforts were focused on the older 5500 or the
> newer clamshell models.  And for commercial support -- forget it!  Mine
> broke shortly after Sharp shut down the dev site, and I just decided to
> abandon it.

Funny, my first one actually shipped to me dead. It went back and came
back functioning, but I'm fairly sure the CF slot is a little flaky. If I
ever find a solution, I may still be stuck with a broken CF slot.

While I'm griping, what were they thinking when they designed the original
serial adapter for the Zaurus? It blocks the tray to the keyboard!

> Getting back to your original question, I don't recall anything that
> worked like that for the 5600, but I do remember that they had some CF
> device that turned it into T-Mobile phone.  All you had to do was plug
> an ordinary cell headset into the headphone jack.

Hmm. I'd be interested with this if I could use it with my existing
Verizon service. Is this possible?

I'm unfortunately stuck with my Verizon service for another year, or
rather more specifically I'm not willing to pay for the full price of a
new phone out of pocket without getting the steep discount for a new one
by signing up for a new lan.

However, if I were to get a new phone, the zaurus has bluetooth
capabilites and I'd make sure to get bluetooth capable phone.

> If you haven't already, check out the site myzaurus.com.  I think you
> might find refernces to it there.  You might be able to pick one up on
> eBay.

I've found openzaurus forums
(http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showforum=69)
to have much more info than the sharp run ones. I thought I remembered
there being forums on the myzaurus site from when I'd looked at it last,
but don't see any now - am I crazy, or were/are there forums. (Perhaps it
was the dev forums?)

I'll dig around, but if you can remember or find (don't spend too much
time looking...) the info about the T-Mobile device, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Mark

PS. Dave - we probably really should really meet up one of these days...