Wireless nics under debian (or linux in general)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 13:36:02 EDT 2005

I bought a cheap SanDisk Wireless NIC with 128 MB memory (cf formfactor) and it
works fine under windows in pcmcia with adapter,
I see it as working under linux but it uses the linux-wlan-ng prism drivers and
debian has those only under unstable and then with no kernel modules for 2.6.8
kernel - I tried the 2.4.27 version of kernel, modules, and pcmcia modules but
the driver gave me missing symbol errors (indicating there was a kernel module
mismatch).

SO I finally gave up as hostap and orinoco drivers would not work, now I have
my hands on a linksys wpc11 ver4 (really realtek) and it seems to be supported
with a still alpha realtek driver or under ndiswrapper using WinXP drivers )
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333141]here

However I want to know if anyone here is unsing a pcmcia wireless nic without
having to recompile software or use windows wrapped drivers.  Anyone have
debian packages from linux-wlan-ng?  Anyone know of a card that works under
debian sarge (or testing) and uses the hostap or orinoco drivers?

Thanks

JJN