X-Window Weirdness

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Nov 19 11:52:19 EST 2004

kppp always says it dies on my system when something goes wrong (e.g.
someone picks up a phone and starts tone dialing without bothering to
listen first for the dial tone).

If you go to one of the internet security websites such as
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and let them evaluate your security, you'll see how tight your system is
and what it does say about itself.

On my system, Mozilla was happy to divulge the following:

Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Secure: https://www.grc.com
Nonsecure: http://www.grc.com
MediaPort: 8082

which, as you can see, does tell them I'm running Linux.  I'm sure that
it would not be too difficult to have my system say whatever I wanted
about itself though.  I believe even Mozilla has an option (somewhere)
to identify itself as the browser of your choice - for prejudiced sites.

The Gibson Research (grc) is somewhat Windoze oriented, but then,
they're the ones that need the most help.  While you're there, check out
some of his articles, etc.  He's been a very helpful trouble maker (for
people like Microsoft and Norton) for a long time.

Joe

--
"Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." -- George Gordon Noel Byron (Lord Byron)