X-Window Weirdness

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Nov 9 08:13:31 EST 2004

Sounds like you have alot of misconfigured stuff there and maybe some
hardware issues as well. ctrl-alt-backspace (at least in Gnome) should
restart your X server, I believe it's the same for KDE, if that key
combination shuts your machine off, you have something REALLY wrong. To
many options to type about that.
  As far as kppp, speaking as a "Gnome-Head", that is one KDE app I
think does a pretty nice job. When it gives the message that kppp died,
it will also give a code number. Do a man on kppp and look for that
number, it should give you a clue as to what is going on and it's almost
always a authentication problem with the username/password. Seeing that
winblows can connect ok should rule out a hardware problem. Also, look
in your /var/log/messages after kppp dies.