Neverball

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 12:16:55 EST 2004

green_man wrote:

> jb wrote, On 12/26/04 12:19 PM:
>
>> green_man wrote:

>>> Linux game stuff is *not* non-sensical, at least to me.
>>> I have been trying unsuccessfully to get any game to run on this box
>>> with onboard sound and video.
>>> I think games will be the second major route on the Linux migration.
>>> Most young people's first exposure to using a computer is probably
>>> via games, followed by web browsers.
>>> Like Joshua's article about FireFox said, "Your children in college
>>> are already using it."
>>> Interoperabilty with office software and games seem to be the two
>>> major hurdles.
>>> First, office apps, then games, then, the downfall of MicroSoft due
>>> to a major Linux migration of the public.
>>>
>> I agree, I should have chosen a better way to describe games. I'm
>> sure there are plenty of gamers out there who would disagree with
>> that description too. I didn't mean anything negative by it, just
>> that games isn't the usual subject matter here.
>> My nephew uses Winblows 98 which for the most part uses it for games.
>> I burned him a Knoppix CD and he pops that in quite often just to
>> play some of the games. I think Knoppix is an excellent way to safely
>> expose Linux to someone for the first time.  He says his next
>> computer is going to be a dual boot.  My brother also wants to go
>> dual boot when he  either gets a new computer or adds a new HD.  He
>> is sick of having to FDISK his HD and he seems to have to do that at
>> least once a year just to keep Winblows running like it should. I
>> showed him my dual boot and he was very impressed with it and how
>> well it runs. It blows his mind that I don't have to restart it every
>> day just to get it to run like it should. He uses his computer mainly
>> for AutoCAD so a dual boot is ideal for his situation.
>> jb
>>
> No offense meant, or taken. I didn't mean for that to sound like a
> tirade. I know there are gamers in the list, we're just probably
> afraid to admit it . :-)
> I think I was starting to make some headway, then the LOKI site
> closed. When my linux was functioning correctly, Win 98 was used
> mostly for my games.
> I have Quake III arena for Linux still sitting there unused, and I
> play UNREAL. Whatever Linux uses instead of OpenGL seems to be my
> downfall.
> TuxRacer won't even run. Alas, now my browsing and email is done"
> inside the fence", too.  I call it that because in windows you can
> have a DOS box, in Linux you can have a " Windows box" with Wine or
> VMware. ;-)
>
> If your brother gets a new machine, make sure he gets a mother board
> with expansion slots, not on board processing with shared memory that
> MS and Intel tout as so great. Linux recognizes a lot of devices, if
> you have them. I have no sound card, no video card, and no modem on
> this box, it's all done by the CPU - hence, sound is wonky, video is
> [...]
Wonkey is a good description for inboard sound. My VIA mobo has that and
it wasn't long before I disabled it and installed a sound card. If I
ever get my network going I would like to start tinkering with Wine.
This computer is pure Linux and my other I'm still working on. It had
win98 until I was hit with a worm. I had to replace the mobo and when I
went to run the rescue CD it won't work anymore, saying it only works
with the original computer, (which it is). I called HP and told them I
bought their factory replacement mobo and said I need a rescue CD that
will work with the new board. After giving them serial numbers, email
address, name and address, telephone number and permission for them to
send me junk mail they told me they no longer provide win98 rescue CD's.
Hehehe, they were so helpful they gave me the 800 number to MS so I
could order a new copy of Winblows XP! Hehehe, the whole idea behind
buying a factory mobo replacement was so I wouldn't have to buy new ram
and the rescue cd would work.
So much for thinking I could live in a perfect world, hehehe. I have a
Dell win98 install cd I can use but I have to hunt down all the right
drivers and HP doesn't provide them. Eventually if I fart around with
that HP enough I'll have it back up as dual boot, then I'll get the
network going and then tinker with Wine.
Bottom line is no matter how much WinBlows, I still need a comp with MS
on it for certain apps and games no matter how great my pure Linux
computer runs. It's like having a MS ball and chain, hehehe.