Neverball

green_man green_man at bluefrog.biz
Mon Dec 27 09:10:44 EST 2004

jb wrote, On 12/26/04 12:19 PM:

> green_man wrote:
>

>> jb wrote, On 12/23/04 9:35 PM:
>>
>>> If anyone wants a couple decent games, Neverball is a good one and
>>> the new upgrade comes with Neverputt which is an addictive putput
>>> golf. I think the DAG repository has it for RH9 at least. Just
>>> thought I would post some non-sensical Linux game stuff.
>>> jb
>>>
>> Linux game stuff is *not* non-sensical, at least to me.
>> I have been trying unsuccessfully to get any game to run on this box
>> with onboard sound and video.
>> I think games will be the second major route on the Linux migration.
>> Most young people's first exposure to using a computer is probably
>> via games, followed by web browsers.
>> Like Joshua's article about FireFox said, "Your children in college
>> are already using it."
>> Interoperabilty with office software and games seem to be the two
>> major hurdles.
>> First, office apps, then games, then, the downfall of MicroSoft due
>> to a major Linux migration of the public.
>>
> I agree, I should have chosen a better way to describe games. I'm sure
> there are plenty of gamers out there who would disagree with that
> description too. I didn't mean anything negative by it, just that
> games isn't the usual subject matter here.
> My nephew uses Winblows 98 which for the most part uses it for games.
> I burned him a Knoppix CD and he pops that in quite often just to play
> some of the games. I think Knoppix is an excellent way to safely
> expose Linux to someone for the first time.  He says his next computer
> is going to be a dual boot.  My brother also wants to go dual boot
> when he  either gets a new computer or adds a new HD.  He is sick of
> having to FDISK his HD and he seems to have to do that at least once a
> year just to keep Winblows running like it should. I showed him my
> dual boot and he was very impressed with it and how well it runs. It
> blows his mind that I don't have to restart it every day just to get
> it to run like it should. He uses his computer mainly for AutoCAD so a
> dual boot is ideal for his situation.
> jb

No offense meant, or taken. I didn't mean for that to sound like a
tirade. I know there are gamers in the list, we're just probably afraid
to admit it . :-)
I think I was starting to make some headway, then the LOKI site closed.
When my linux was functioning correctly, Win 98 was used mostly for my
games.
I have Quake III arena for Linux still sitting there unused, and I play
UNREAL. Whatever Linux uses instead of OpenGL seems to be my downfall.
TuxRacer won't even run. Alas, now my browsing and email is done" inside
the fence", too.  I call it that because in windows you can have a DOS
box, in Linux you can have a " Windows box" with Wine or VMware. ;-)

If your brother gets a new machine, make sure he gets a mother board
with expansion slots, not on board processing with shared memory that MS
and Intel tout as so great. Linux recognizes a lot of devices, if you
have them. I have no sound card, no video card, and no modem on this
box, it's all done by the CPU - hence, sound is wonky, video is wonky,
and I have an external modem that works just fine, I disabled the
software modem in the BIOS.

--
The sole purpose of my life is, apparently, to test my sanity.

Scott
Netscape 7.0 Mail

--
This outgoing message is certified Virus Free.