linux newbie cdwriting

Daniel Villarreal dvmail at texas.net
Mon Dec 6 04:32:14 EST 2004

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:22:18 -0500 Bob typed...
>     I'm new at this but maybe I can help:
> DV-For CD writing I use a combination of X-CD-Roast or command-line.
> examples...
> For DVD-Writing I would use X-CD-Roast. I don't have a DVD-equipped
> system anymore. I have a lap top and that's it.
>
> BR-I have a laptop also and it take a lot more work to setup then most desktops but it can be done.  I'm using FC2/Gnome and thanks to the good people on this list now K3b for my CD writing.   Since you seem to like Redhat you might want to try the FC2 route.  Since you don't have a DVD drive there no point in me going into that.

 I liked FC2, once it got Firewire capability, but when I tried to update it, it barfed... An OS is no good to me if I can't update it. I'm interested in FC3, but since this is my only system, I need to have something I know I can work with. I figured I'd go with free Red Hat
Enterprise Linux. Very vanilla, but I like the XWindows set up, it gives
me 1024x768 on my Vaio laptop. Now if I could just get the built-in
modem to work in Linux... I'm not interested in paying for commercial
Linuxant modem drivers.

>DV-BTW, I do depend heavily on external Firewire/USB2 drives for
>storage. I never trust XP Home to not totally wipe out my laptop's hard > drive ;-)
>
> BR-Don't depend too heavily on the external USB2 drives as you only
> source of backup.  I re-installed (3) different distros, thinking
> something in that particular distro did not like my USB drive and in >the end it was the USB drive that malfunctioned.  As to XP Home, GET >RID OF IT! if you must dual boot, as I do, I highly recommend win2k.

 I have some stuff written to DVD, and a lot is written to CD-ROM.
I never had any problems with Win2k, but a license for XP Home came with my laptop. I don't run anything that I don't have backed up on XP :-)

> DV-I'd like to try and get my Palm Zire Z71 to work with Linux, I've never been able to set up a USB Palm device in Linux. I've used a serial cradle in the past with a Handspring device in Linux.
>
> BR-I'm still working on getting my palm to sync correctly, when I figure it out I'll drop you a line, and hope you do the same.

 Palm is nice, but I wish I could run the emulators... If I get around to getting it set up in Linux, I'll write to the list.

> I hope I helped,
> Bob Randal

 been nice, Bob

later,