linux newbie cdwriting

Advent Systems adventsystems at verizon.net
Sat Dec 4 17:22:18 EST 2004

Hi Daniel,
    I'm new at this but maybe I can help:

DV-I had the opportunity to ask some linux gurus/geniuses how they got so good... They learned by setting up a home network and figuring out how sendmail, DNS, etc., work by breaking it and fixing it.

BR-Yes breaking it and fixing it can teach you a lot, stay with it.

DV-For CD writing I use a combination of X-CD-Roast or command-line.

examples
mkisofs -o /iso/`date +%G%m%d-wups1`.iso -J -R -A -V `date +%G%m%d-wups1` /01-up
cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=1,0,0 fs=4096k -eject -pad -useinfo -dao -data newiso.iso
For DVD-Writing I would use X-CD-Roast. I don't have a DVD-equipped
system anymore. I have a lap top and that's it.

BR-I have a laptop also and it take a lot more work to setup then most desktops but it can be done.  I'm using FC2/Gnome and thanks to the good people on this list now K3b for my CD writing.   Since you seem to like Redhat you might want to try the FC2 route.  Since you don't have a DVD drive there no point in me going into that.

DV-BTW, I do depend heavily on external Firewire/USB2 drives for
storage. I never trust XP Home to not totally wipe out my laptop's hard
drive ;-)

BR-Don't depend too heavily on the external USB2 drives as you only
source of backup.  I re-installed (3) different distros, thinking
something in that particular distro did not like my USB drive and in the
end it was the USB drive that malfunctioned.  As to XP Home, GET RID OF
IT! if you must dual boot, as I do, I highly recommend win2k.

DV-I'd like to try and get my Palm Zire Z71 to work with Linux, I've never been able to set up a USB Palm device in Linux. I've used a serial cradle in the past with a Handspring device in Linux.

BR-I'm still working on getting my palm to sync correctly, when I figure it out I'll drop you a line, and hope you do the same.

I hope I helped,
Bob Randal