c'est rien

Greg Neumann dadneumann at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 2 07:23:52 EST 2004

Stephen Burke wrote:

> p.s. gnome is so boring and M$ looking. Try enlightenment (.org), even
> though it's likely to be a wrestling match getting it to run (I have
> never tried to build it though so I don't actually know about that - I
> just installed it with SuSE). blackbox and fvwm2 are pretty cool, too.
> Using these window managers,  you KNOW you've escaped the dark lord -
> and that any M$ user would probably be lost on your machine and opt to
> use a different one and not screw yours up more than you already have.
>

> Advent Systems wrote:
>
>> Stephen
>>    Thank you for that profound piece or wisdom.  Being a newbie and
>> after re-installing each of 3 different distro's dozens of dozens of
>> times and still being able to blow the new install up I thought there
>> was something wrong with me.  I myself was giving up hope and was
>> thinking of going back to Easy CD Creator when after trying
>> "everything" I could not get K3b to work with Gnome, (I still can't)
>> but I now have renewed faith :)
>>
>> Bob Randal

You haven't lived until you run enlightenment on a 486 DX/100!! ;-) ...
and yes, I have. And it kicks the snot out of any Windows desktop I've
ever seen! But lately I've been using KDE. For cd bruning, the old
command line 'cdrecord' will write to my burner when nero won't.
I tend to burn Linux cd's in windows, too. Mostly because the family
computer (translate "gaming machine") runs it and I've usually given up
my keyboard, or mouse or whatever, so the kids can do their "homework"
until I can scrape the scratch to get a replacement. Been w/o a keyboard
for about a week, so this is all on windows now. :-(
-Greg Neumann