apt-get synaptic

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 01:21:24 EDT 2004

I selected repositories of earlier versions of redhat to see what apps were
there. I was surprised there were so many but there weren't any of interest
to me. Resetting the apt repositories back to redhat 9, I noticed it started
fresh at getting the rpm headers similar to using
apt-get install -f
which flushes the headers.
I don't recommend using atrpms as a repository unless you try using the
at-stable list, but I didn't have any luck with those. Here are the
repositories I'm using for RH9 which are working great.
rpm http://apt.sw.be/ redhat/9/en/i386 DAG
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ redhat/9/i386 freshrpms
rpm http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/ redhat/en/i386/9.0 newrpms
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net/ redhat/9/i386 OS updates
The new kernel ( kernel#2.4.20-31.9 ) for rh9 was a snap to install. I wish
the Nvidia driver was that easy to recompile.
I tried YUM but it wasn't as good and seemed slower compared to apt.
Anyone using other repositories with luck for rh9 and apt?
I'm also using rsync to keep the apt cache of rpms on my other HD along with
an rsync of /home. A full system recovery is just a matter of loading
everything back. I was going to make the rsync a cron job but it is so fast I
would rather run it when I can keep an eye on it so I just su and copy paste
when ever I feel itchy.
updatedb -v
rsync -avz --delete /var/cache/apt/archives/ /store/aptgetrpms/
rsync -avz --delete /home/ /store/homebackup1/
If anyone has anything to add please feel free, any info or opinions are
greatly appreciated...
THX
JEB
www.mesimpleton.com