Linux Distro

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 00:02:42 EDT 2003

Hmmm... there are probably as many answers to this question as there are people
on the list :-)

I like Mandrake, myself.  Some prefer RedHat.  We have Debian users in the
group, too.  I'll mention what I like...

For the firewall, I would install Mandrake 9.1 in minimal configuration mode
(turn off all package groups) which will cause the installer to ask if you
really want a minimal install.  You say 'yet' and then use the individual
package selection to add 'shorewall' to the system.  There are a few more that
you might want to add like 'ssh'.  After the install, configure the shorewall
files in '/etc/shorewall' and you have a firewall.  If you really want a proxy,
then you can install 'squid'.  I'm not a big fan of putting any more services
on a firewall than are required to perform the firewall tasks, so I would
resist the temptation to put the print server there.

I would get rid of the Linksys immediately.  If you are building a Linux
firewall, you don't need it, it will slow your network to a crawl and it is way
too hackable.

For the workstation, I again would go with Mandrake 9.1 but make sure that you
install the development system and the kernel source when you do the install.
If you download source from the net to compile, you're going to need this stuff
to get it working...

There is a meeting this Sunday at 1:00PM on the second floor of 100 S. Elmwood
Avenue.  I'm sure that everyone there would be willing to offer their
suggestions :-)

Cheers!

Bob