partitions

Mark Robson markrobson at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 14:54:46 EDT 2003

Well, it will be there, then.  Even if I get this
solved meantime (LOL).  I guess you'll have monitors
to use, so I'll need to bring the kbd/mouse and box?

Meantime, I seem to have lied when I said I could see
both partitions on the 80gb drive.  When I go:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

I can get a view of the c: drive where my o/s is
installed, and the source for the files I want to
rescue.  I 'thought' I could just modify that to :

mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/winD

to make the same view true for my D: partition on that
same drive.  I have already created /mnt/winD.
Instead, I get this complaint:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/hda2,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended
partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)

I don't remember making hda2 NTFS, but is that likely
the problem?  How would I determine that?

Is a 'bad superblock' as bad as it sounds?  Can I
determine that (considering my newbie-ness)?

I am trying to mount an extended partition, not a
logical partition insde; maybe I just need a different
option?

I need to learn how to edit fstab to automate this
anyways, don't I.  Another of the skills I haven't yet
picked up.  I wish I had the time to take classes to
get this down.  I'm the proverbial one who knows just
enough to get into trouble.

Mark

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > exactly that.  Couldn't understand the open source
> > world's disdain for MS.  M$?  Eyes wide shut,
> indeed.
> >
> > Will try your idea with a small twist - I can see
> both
> > part'ns on the 80gb drive (yes, FAT) and might
> just
> > move the C: into the D: as a directory and then
> > proceed as you describe.  Just enough pain to make
> me
> > remember the lesson - those who do not learn to
> backup
> > are doomed to reinstall everything.
> >
> > Will be a day or two before I am able to get at
> this.
> > Looking forward to it.
> >
> > BTW, I'm determined to learn enough to show my
> > teenagers what they can do with Linux - Yahoo/GAIM
> > will help there, too.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> > > I do this all the time because alot of my
> clients
> > > decide that xp is a
> > > cure-all for there ills and just install it,
> only to
> > > find out that there
> > > is no support for ISA hardware, etc and one guy
> > > actually lost all
> > > functionality of his previous m$ office stuff
> > > because he had not
> > > activated it yet! This pissed him off so much,
> he
> > > wanted me to save all
> > > his data and put him back on win98. I usually
> back
> > > up everything and
> > > since you tell me that you can mount this xp
> side
> > > from Linux, I am going
> > > to assume that xp is on a fat partition (versus
> > > ntfs), so this should be
> > > easy. If you have room somewhere for this, make
> > > zip or tar the xp
> > > side. Keep in mind that windows (at least 98)
> cannot
> > > see a file size
> > > larger than 4gb. Once backed up, you can redo
> your
> > > windows side to
> > > whatever and restore the data. Any data you had
> > > saved can be reused, if
> > > it is not environment dependent (needs to be in
> > > registry, etc) All you
> > > doc's, mp3's, whatever should be fine.
> > > In my dual boot scenario's, I backup the whole
> > > windows side to one file,
> > > keep in on the Linux side (don't have to worry
> about
> > > file size) and then
> > > use Gnome's file roller to extract the stuff, or
> > > show the clients how to
> > > extract files and then move them to the new
> windows
> > > side. Then when they
> > > are sure they have everything, they can delete
> the
> > > saved file.
> > > There would be alot of bumps in the road for a

driver-corruption/page-fault/IRQ_not_less_than/circus