partitions

Mark Robson markrobson at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 17:21:40 EDT 2003

Ahh... the cure for all ills... I remember saying
exactly that.  Couldn't understand the open source
world's disdain for MS.  M$?  Eyes wide shut, indeed.

Will try your idea with a small twist - I can see both
part'ns on the 80gb drive (yes, FAT) and might just
move the C: into the D: as a directory and then
proceed as you describe.  Just enough pain to make me
remember the lesson - those who do not learn to backup
are doomed to reinstall everything.

Will be a day or two before I am able to get at this.
Looking forward to it.

BTW, I'm determined to learn enough to show my
teenagers what they can do with Linux - Yahoo/GAIM
will help there, too.

Thanks,

Mark

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
> I do this all the time because alot of my clients
> decide that xp is a
> cure-all for there ills and just install it, only to
> find out that there
> is no support for ISA hardware, etc and one guy
> actually lost all
> functionality of his previous m$ office stuff
> because he had not
> activated it yet! This pissed him off so much, he
> wanted me to save all
> his data and put him back on win98. I usually back
> up everything and
> since you tell me that you can mount this xp side
> from Linux, I am going
> to assume that xp is on a fat partition (versus
> ntfs), so this should be
> easy. If you have room somewhere for this, make a
> zip or tar the xp
> side. Keep in mind that windows (at least 98) cannot
> see a file size
> larger than 4gb. Once backed up, you can redo your
> windows side to
> whatever and restore the data. Any data you had
> saved can be reused, if
> it is not environment dependent (needs to be in
> registry, etc) All you
> doc's, mp3's, whatever should be fine.
> In my dual boot scenario's, I backup the whole
> windows side to one file,
> keep in on the Linux side (don't have to worry about
> file size) and then
> use Gnome's file roller to extract the stuff, or
> show the clients how to
> extract files and then move them to the new windows
> side. Then when they
> are sure they have everything, they can delete the
> saved file.
> There would be alot of bumps in the road for a
> newbie to do this, feel
> free to keep asking questions.
>
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 09:24, Mark Robson wrote:
>
> > I have been having trouble with WinXP
> > (Ex-productivity?), and wish I'd learned to
> segregate
> > all those user-environment related files out
> before

driver-corruption/page-fault/IRQ_not_less_than/circus

=====

Mark Robson