partitions

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 13:12:05 EDT 2003

--- "Kevin E. Glosser" <keg at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 08:17, Richard Hubbard wrote:
> > Basically, it depends :-)
>
> Which is absolutely the truth. You would choose
> differently depending on
> the use of the machine. A home pc is going to be
> partitioned differently
> than a server.

big / partition, little / partition ... vi/emacs ...
potato/potaahto ...leenooks/linux
we could start some massive flame wars here if we
wanted to! :-)

But, to continue with what Kevin is saying,  the
absolute truth is: play with it if you can, then see
what works best for you. (I teach linux classes, and
the best partition scheme that I have found for _that_
situation is to have a big / partition, and a swap
partition.  For first time linux users, it works
great, and it agrees with the default M$ installs they
are used to.  But for production use you definitely
would change them).