partitions

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 14 12:24:41 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 08:17, Richard Hubbard wrote:
> Basically, it depends :-)

Which is absolutely the truth. You would choose differently depending on
the use of the machine. A home pc is going to be partitioned differently
than a server.

> To avoid this, you might follow this strategy:

One thing I am going to add, is if you asked everyone on this list, you
would likely get a DIFFERENT answer from EVERY single one of us. Some
things in Linux don't have a "correct" answer. Opinion influences things
like this a lot.

Richard's points are good. A lot of programs end up in /usr like he
stated. Lots of programs that you install afterwards, will likely want
to install to /usr/local.

One thing I'd recommend is a /home partition. I myself haven't settled
on a set partitioning scheme. Every so often if I redo my machine or
make a new one, I change partition schemes.

Currently, I'm using...
/
/boot
/home