SuSE abandoned Cyrix, so I put in an AMD, now this

Timothy Domst timothy.domst at verizon.net
Mon Oct 6 19:08:58 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I hope at least some of you are into hardware and can help me.  I had
put SuSE onto my mom's old junker Packard Bell that she gave to me
after I sold her my iMac.  I had also put an ethernet card in it and
some more RAM, and I would say I almost got it running smoothly on my
little home network.  (It would work ok in 800x600, but I couldn't
stand it)  There were a lot of issues with the cheapo monitor, the
maker of which is also out of business.  Then I saw that SuSE would not
support Cyrix chips in 8.2, so I was convinced by a Welsh gentleman on
alt.os.linux.suse to replace the Cyrix with an AMD, which is supported,
cheap, and faster with it's built-in cache.  So I did it and that is
the story thus far.  There are only two cards, the modem card and the
ethernet card, so maybe the built-in graphics are incompatible with the
new chip?