Hello

Scott Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Wed May 14 15:50:12 EDT 2003

On 13 May 2003 at 8:45, vlok stone wrote:

> You may have to try some settings in Mandrake Control
> Center. Go to the Xfdrake -> try some of the generic
> monitor settings ( be realistic so you don't fry it)
> -> test. then try some different rez settings. Again
> be realistic.
>
> As for the sound. Bring up xmms and try to play
> something. If it doesn't complain ( you should see the
> time running on the song) then it may be that the
> mixer
> is set to 0. If it appears to play the song, then go
> to your menu -> multimedia->aumix. I installed 9.1 for
> my
> brother and everything was set to 0 by default.
> Let us know what errors you got and we'll t-shoot
> further if necessary.
> Hope this helps.

[LARGE EDIT]

Yes, check the mixer. I had the same problem about a year ago after installing Mandrake 8.0.
I did some reading of archived messages on Mandrake's site, and found that in earlier versions of Mandrake the mixer
settings were set to default at MAXIMUM VOLUME. The welcome .wav after first log on blew lots of speakers, and lots
of people complained, so they decided zero was a better default volume.

--
Scott
Pegasus v 4.01

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Richard Hubbard