Linux Citrix client

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at dynabrade.com
Fri Mar 21 13:12:03 EST 2003

Ok this is what I did.
I installed redhat 7.3 on a Dell Inspiron laptop

Redhat 7.3 text install (715M)

Custom Install (only installed these components) I did not nitpick the
packages

  Classic X windows
  X windows
  Laptop Support (cuz I'm using a laptop)
  Network
  Utilities

Settings:
DHCP
No Firewall
Auto Partition
Lilo
Text Based Login (runlevel 3)

This will start a base install in runlevel 3 (non gui) then in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local I put:

# Section to start X and Client (I used xeyes to simulate the client)
X &
export DISPLAY=localhost:0
twm &
while true
do
xeyes
done

The X is the bare server
twm is a generic unix window manager, this can be substatuted with others
and then I looped xeyes (this would be your client) so if it dies or gets
killed it will restart.

This is how I did it quickly I'm sure others will tell you other ways to
do it. The X windows is running as root, so is anything else, there may be
security concerns, but since they are in a confined X environment they
can't really open anything else easily. Also rc.local never finishes
running so your don't get any login prompts either. If you need to admin
the box you'd need to bring it up in runlevel 1 from lilo. I don't think
your all to concerned about your people hacking into the linux box being
used as a dumb client.

Let me know if I can help any more.
Justin

Justin Bennett