Liberty Library

Bob Stockdale javabob at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 12 12:14:20 EST 2003

peter wrote:

> Robert Meyer wrote:
>
>> Well, if that's all you want to do is use the second processor, why not
>> just install the SMP kernel from the distribution?  If you only had one
>> processor when you installed Mandrake, it doesn't install the SMP
>> kernel.
>> If it was there, then take a look at /proc/cpuinfo and make sure that
>> you're only using one.
>>
>> I'm really leary of installing development series kernels unless you
>> don't
>> care if you blow up the machine and need to reinstall.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Bob
>> --- Bob Stockdale <javabob at adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to compile a development kernel (2.5.63) . It requires
>>> Oprofile. Oprofile stops compilling as it cannot find liberty
>>> library. It is suppose to be in binutils.  My version is
>>> binutils               2.9.5.0.25
>>> After searching the web  I haven't found liberty library nor
>>> binutils > 2.12.?.?
>>> Does anyone know what the scoop on this is?
>>> I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on a dual Athlon MP1800+ . All other kernel
>>> dependancies have been satisfied and I just want to start utilizing
>>> the second processor.
>>> Thank you.
>>> Bob
>>>

>> =====
>> Bob Meyer
>> Knightwing Communications, Inc.
>> 36 Cayuga Blvd
>> Depew, NY 14043
>> Phone: 716-308-8931 or 716-681-0076
>> Meyer_RM at Yahoo.com

>> Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more
>> http://taxes.yahoo.com/
>>

> Dunno if this will apply, but I bet you need H. J. Lu's version of
> binutils, it's what the kernel team is using (according to the LFS docs)
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/
>
> I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I'll let you know how it
> goes if you want. I got this info by trying to build a LFS system with
> nptl support, using the LFS docs at
>
> http://linuxfromscratch.org
>
> under the "Hints" links.
>
> FWIW, I find out through the same docs that the 2.5.x kernels
> (presumably also 2.6) is *required* for nptl threading....
> and all I wanted was smoother multimedia, go figure.

Thank you. Oprofile compiled without errors. Had to download the latest
version of binutils, compile and install it. Then re-compiled Oprofile.
In the process of configuring kernel linux-2.5.63. For those who haven't
tried a development kernel or don't use 'make xconfig' it might spark
you interest to know that there is a new interface for 'make xconfig' .
The short info for each configure item is in the lower right frame.
Really is nice!
Thanks again for all who offered help.
Bob