Liberty Library

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Mon Mar 10 20:06:41 EST 2003

Robert Meyer wrote:
> Well, if that's all you want to do is use the second processor, why not
> just install the SMP kernel from the distribution?  If you only had one
> processor when you installed Mandrake, it doesn't install the SMP kernel.
> If it was there, then take a look at /proc/cpuinfo and make sure that
> you're only using one.
>
> I'm really leary of installing development series kernels unless you don't
> care if you blow up the machine and need to reinstall.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Bob
> --- Bob Stockdale <javabob at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to compile a development kernel (2.5.63) . It requires
>>Oprofile. Oprofile stops compilling as it cannot find liberty library.
>>It is suppose to be in binutils.  My version is
>>binutils               2.9.5.0.25
>>After searching the web  I haven't found liberty library nor binutils >
>>2.12.?.?
>>Does anyone know what the scoop on this is?
>>I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on a dual Athlon MP1800+ . All other kernel
>>dependancies have been satisfied and I just want to start utilizing the
>>second processor.
>>Thank you.
>>Bob
>>

> =====
> Bob Meyer
> Knightwing Communications, Inc.
> 36 Cayuga Blvd
> Depew, NY 14043
> Phone: 716-308-8931 or 716-681-0076
> Meyer_RM at Yahoo.com

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Dunno if this will apply, but I bet you need H. J. Lu's version of
binutils, it's what the kernel team is using (according to the LFS docs)

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I'll let you know how it
goes if you want. I got this info by trying to build a LFS system with
nptl support, using the LFS docs at

http://linuxfromscratch.org

under the "Hints" links.

FWIW, I find out through the same docs that the 2.5.x kernels
(presumably also 2.6) is *required* for nptl threading....
and all I wanted was smoother multimedia, go figure.

--
"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price."
		-- Richard M. Stallman