newbie redhat update problem

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 19:31:53 EST 2003

Nope, that's as it should be.  The problem typically stems
from the machine name not being in /etc/hosts and not available
from DNS so everything has to wait for DNS timeouts before
starting up.  The other thing to check is /etc/nsswitch.conf.
Make sure that it has a line like this:

hosts:      files nisplus nis dns

If files is last, then make it first.  That way, your local host
file is referred to before trying DNS.  I have NIS and NISPLUS in
there 'cuz I use NIS here.  You could just have:

hosts:      files dns

which probably makes more sense.

Good luck.

Cheers!