Spam and privacy

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Fri Jun 27 22:11:08 EDT 2003

Privacy.  There is no such thing.  Your bank accounts are monitored,
credit card activity analyzed, social security and retirement funds
squandered and moved around without anyone having a say.  Email privacy.
  Again, no such thing.  If I want to be "anonymous", I use a Hotmail,
Yahoo, or other free email service where people can claim to be anyone
they want.

People in a position of questioning, surveying, or just asking a
question, will most often ignore emails where a person does not say who
they are.  I run a popular website for Buffalo and WNY, and I see
__plenty__ of "anonymous" posts, and messages.

Myself, if someone says something "anonymously", on a subject I have
asked, or perhaps someone else has, I watch for those emails and/or
posts which are people who aren't afraid.  I delete those who do not
show themselves, or have no way for me to easily identify them.
"Anonymizers" are not totally anonymous.  AOL's proxy caching allows a
persons real IP through, and it's no secret, yet many think it protects
them.  Basically, it's my opinion that, Big Brother, or perhaps someone
else, is always watching. Never sleeping, the war on terrorism, as well
as information collecting, is out there, and they are there, whether you
believe it, or want it.

Just my two pence.

   - Tony Evans