Spam and privacy

Joe Isom jsi at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 27 20:42:07 EDT 2003

I'll take a shot at this. I know what anonymous EMAIL is, but I've never
received any.  If I did, I would consider it no different than the spam
I receive -- I would delete it without even looking at.

I work in a job where we often receive information anonymously.  It has
always been in the form of phone calls or letters, and we are required
to investigate any information provided anonymously.  My experience has
been that, when the writer or caller knows he is totally anonymous and
cannot be challenged on, or held accountable for the information he is
providing, he will, almost all of the time, greatly embellish the
information or testimony he is offering.  In other words, it has been my
experience that most people who write anonymously do it because they
know they are serving up a big load of crap, not because they are
sticking their neck out.

Also, it's not too enjoyable to be the subject of an anonymous EMAIL and
have outright lies told about you in an effort to trash your reputation
and character.  Therefore, I would treat any anonymous EMAIL just like I
do spam -- hit the delete key without even opening it.

Joe Isom