Gedit and Printing

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 23:56:41 EDT 2003

--- Joe <josephj at buffnet.net> wrote:
> Two questions:
> 1) When I print from gedit, lines get wrapped on the page, but they're
> a little too long and the last word or two gets rewraped midword on the
> printed page.  Is there a way to tell gedit how wide a page should be?
>
> 2) When I print from gedit (and elsewhere) fonts get selected and it
> prints the way I want it to.  When I print directly (cat file > lp), it
> has to choose some font, but the one it chooses is microscopic.  Where
> do I tell the sytem what font to use if none is selected?
> I'm using Mandrake 9.1 rc2, kdesktop, if that matters.

Well, if you poke around in gedit a bit, you'll find that under
Edit->preferences, there is an item for editor fonts and printer fonts.  That's
where you tell it what to use.

Rather than catting the file to the printer, just use 'lpr filename' and it
will format the file into postscript and feed it to the cups print driver which
will make something reasonable with it.  I think that it picks something like
courier 10.  You could also use 'a2ps' or 'enscript' (check the manpages for
them) to get it to do lots of different things.  Enscript writes straight to
the printer daemon and a2ps needs to be told or it will write to standard
output.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob