format fat32

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Jan 4 23:31:48 EST 2003

no. bios is ok, i ended up hooking it up as a slave to a windows box
again and formatted it with that, then installed ok. I read the man page
on fdisk and it suggested a dd command to get around an issue with the
first 512 bytes but that didnt work either. Would love to know how to
correctly format fat32 from linux, would help alot. here is the snippet
from the man page on fdisk
The  bottom  line is that if you use cfdisk or fdisk to change the size
       of a DOS partition table entry, then you must also use dd to
zero  the
       first 512 bytes of that partition before using DOS FORMAT to
format the
       partition.  For example, if you were using cfdisk to make a DOS
parti‐
       tion table entry for /dev/hda1, then (after exiting fdisk or
cfdisk and
       rebooting Linux so that the partition table information is
valid)  you
       would  use the command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=512
count=1" to
       zero the first 512 bytes of the partition.

       BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL if you use the dd command, since a small
typo  can
       make all of the data on your disk useless.

       For  best results, you should always use an OS‐specific partition
table
       program.  For example, you should make  DOS  partitions  with
the  DOS
       FDISK program and Linux partitions with the Linux fdisk or Linux
cfdisk
       program.