Linux on an old notebook?

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 04:32:24 EST 2003

I think the problem here is that any of the newer
distros with the latest edition of kde/gnome will be
running at glacier speed.

However, if you can get an older distro working (i'm
thinking at the latest redhat 6 or slackware 3. My
list isn't exclusive, but that is the time frame I'm
thinking about) then you should be able to get it to
work (i never saw it, but I had reports of people
years ago geting graphical with 8mb 486 computers.  no
gnome or kde tho)

As far as wp/spreadsheet, probably some text based
wp's or text editors (i know vi will be quick, and
learning nroff isn't terribly difficult.  think html
style typing). I don't know about spreadsheet,
however.

for internet, there is a very good text based browser
called lynx that obviously won't bother with the
graphics, but you will be able to see all _well
written_ web pages with it)

hope this helps