Quick survey

Erek Dyskant erek at nbtsc.org
Sun Dec 21 17:09:11 EST 2003

Hi Joshua and All,
	I answered the technical answers in the survey, but I consider a
lot of this to be a management issue.
	Personally, I would attempt to determine whether the chief admin
performs these sloppy practices when working on his own, or whether he
is having difficulty training the new person, and is choosing to teach
the 'easiest' way of doing things.
	Many technical workers have a hard time training people
thoroughly, as they are more used to "digging in" and doing the work
themselves.  I know for me, it is always a challenge to step back and
allow the less experienced people to try things for themself.
	It might be time to establish some clear policies
as to how things should be done, with strong input from the technical
staff. (i.e. After setting up a system, disable unnecessary ports and
services, all programs must be installed with the package manager, do
not transmit priveledged passwords over plaintext, etc.)  Maybe even a
new server checklist or the like.
	The trick is making it seem a real proactive solution, and
not just more hassle/redtape.
	That way, the new people would know how they are expected to
perform their tasks, and the more expereinced techs will all have
standardized method.
	I hope that you find this helpful, and I'd love to hear what
other people think.

Regards,
Erek Dyskant