Mozilla 1.4 install

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 25 14:08:58 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 13:05, Joe wrote:
> (where locate found all the stuff that looked like mozilla executabes).

"locate/slocate" is a database that doesn't dynamically update itself as
far as I am aware. It has to be told to update itself by issuing a
"updatedb" command from root or it has to be scheduled to automatically
occur at regular time intervals.

"locate" might be displaying what used to be in that directory.

> I went back to normal user (bigbird) and my desktop icons for Mozilla
> are still there and take a while to try to execute and then just terminate.

The old shortcuts may be pointing to the wrong location or to a filename
that no longer exists. Have you tried right clicking on them, looking
for "properties" and seeing if the target and name of the file is valid?

> How do I get my user desktop icons working again and get it to access
> all the stuff in /home/bigbird/.mozilla and in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins?

There are usually two places you can put plugin files. One is usually a
global location, the other is per user. It should be easy to find, it
should be a directory named "plugins". On your old install, if it's in a
different directory, you might be able to copy over the files from the
"plugins" directory to the new one.

If you want to see which plugins are installed or recognized by your
browser, try "about:plugins" in the location bar of your browser.

Sorry, I didn't offer any specific help to your issues with fixing the
Mozilla install. I don't use it. Therefore, don't have experience
installing it. However, I do run Firebird 0.6.1 and the installation was
simply downloading the tar file, extracting it, copying plugin files and
fixing desktop shortcuts.

Firebird is just a browser though, no mail or news. It's also a pre 1.0
release, unlike Mozilla 1.4.

KEG