Modems

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 6 21:11:21 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Galle" <kagalle at infoblvd.net>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: Modems

> Though I agree external is the simplest way to get there, it is worth
noting that there is one bright spot for internal modems - actiontec.  All
of there modems are complete/full/not-winmodem modems, even the pci.  I have
an isa, but also checked out pci and they have the
> Actiontec 56K PCI PCI Master

<-------------------------------------snip----------------------------------
----->
Hi. I have one of those Actiontec modems in my AMD box with Mandrake 8.1 Its
an ISA model it works ok, but it is not as stable as others I've used. It
will not work under dev/modem so I had to choose the ttys1 in other words
com2 in order to get it to work. Also it does not connect up at a nice speed
all the time. Often I have to disconnect and reconnect in order to get
connect at useable speed. It is a nice cheep modem and I mean cheep. You get
what you pay for! I would recommend to invest in a better quality modem like
3com usr or zoom something like that. These are of a better quality and more
stable.
Also if you've read the reviews about Actiontec modems you'll find out that
this modem is a bit unstable and problematic.
Hardware (controller) modems are going to get harder to find (and one day
out of production) if windoze has their way.
So you and I and everone else will find that the only available modems in
the near future will be winmodems. Boy does that suck. So much for having
the ability to find equipment for our (somewhat) legacy boxes on the stores
shelfs. So buy up the stuff while you can I say just in case. I know I'm
always looking around for stuff that the masses are asses are junking at the
curb for parts that I've been collecting and sorting for spairs and extras.
Get enough of the stuff together and you can Frankenstein a nice legacy box
out of it. Well this is my two cents worth. Thanks:)

Ron Maggio
Have Screwdriver Will Travel
Computer Repair Service
P.O. BOX 186
Spring Brook, NY. 14140-0186
Phone: (716) 677-5909
havescrewdriverwilltravel at worldnet.att.net

> For awhile they were available at walmart.  Some setup info from their web
site, which basically boils down to telling linux where and what type of
UART is in the modem, nothing wierd like patching kernels, etc (though I've
have good success doing that with the LT modems)...

> http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/pcimasterfaq.html#installlinux
> # cat /proc/pci
> The following is an example of information to look for:
>
> Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
>     Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T)
>      Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 0).
>       Vendor id=11c1. Device id=480.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.
>         Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000
>        [0xe0800000].
>       I/O at 0xa000 [0xa001].
>       I/O at 0x9800 [0x9801].
>       I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].
>
> Write down the first I/O range. The example shows that I/O is 0xa000. The
values may vary, depending on the system. Then type