PCI modems

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 23 08:16:51 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at localnet.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 5:00 AM
Subject: Re: PCI modems

> Have you considered an external modem instead? Internal modems can in
> most cases require a reboot of your computer if they lock up. With an
> external you flip (or press) a switch on the modem to reset. I currently
> use a Zoom V.92. I have used Viking and Creative Modem Blaster. All work
> great and all are external.
> Bob

Well I forgot I had the Motorola 56K PCI speakerphone modem. I was looking
through my boxes of stuff and found it.
So I did a search to find if there where driver patches for Linux, and I
found to my surprise there was one. The web site did not mention if XP would
see it and give it a driver or that there was a driver update for XP, but I
assume so since the driver that came with it installs it in windoze 98. It
did mention a windoze 2000 driver was available to download from the site,
but nothing on XP. I'm going to build a new box (dual-boot XP & Linux) in
the near future and was trying to see if I had enough hardware on hand that
would make the outcome cheaper. So far I found I had on hand a PCI modem and
PCI sound card (sound blaster). Now to get the money together to buy and
build the box.

Ron