April's meeting place

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Fri Mar 15 12:51:28 EST 2002

Freenet umm... check out bfn.org for most of the details.  You used to be able to
dial in to a telnet account, do lynx web surfing, free email account and the like.
Now you have to already have a connection and telnet in.  In a sense, I think it
defeated the purpose of porviding free and open access to the web to Western New
York when UB changed the telephone access rules and the Freenet could no longer
offer the dialup service.  As I said, though, from a system security angle, it made
sense.  Wouldn't you know they changed it just after I set up my mom on and old 486
and a free dialup account w/ the Freenet.  Now she's got no access at all!

I haven't checked out UB's ftp, just found that they have a nice mirror for the
Linux Documentation Project.  HUGE amounts of good stuff there!  Even links to
T.U.X. comics! ;-)
-Greg