April's meeting place

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 15 12:05:15 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory J. Neumann" <gjn at certainlywood.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: April's meeting place

> Congratualtions, Robert!  Which department?  My daugher is a senior at
Daemen (I'm
> constantly mispelling it as "Daem>o<n" for obvious reasons! ;-)).  They
seem to
> have a pretty good set up, too.
>
> Both Daemen and UB woud be good.  I figured something Linux had to be
going on at
> UB because of the Linux Docs mirror,

<-----------------------------snip------------------------------------->

They also have a nice FTP site for downloads and info such as Docs.
Its a cool site with a lot to offer also try:

http://gatekeeper.com

Or gatekeepers ftp site for downloads and info like Docs!!!

Ron:)

but was not sure what.  The Buffalo Freenet is
> based at UB, so the precedent of community service is there. The biggest
problem I
> see is UB's security concerns.  I know that the Buffalo Freenet shut down
phone
> access last year because of that.
>
> -Greg
>
> > Hi Everyone.  Sorry I missed the last meeting.
> >
> > I think that working with another user group  is a great idea.  A LUG
> > partnership could open a lot of linux doors to WNY.  I think this option
> > should be option #1.  I am investigating a backup plan, however, in case
> > this option falls through.  My father-in-law-to-be (July 12 :-) ) is a
> > department head at Daemen College.  Daemen is around Main St.  &  Harlem
> > Rd.  There is plenty of free parking.
> >
> > Robert Romito.
> >
> > WAYNE MELBROD wrote:
> >
> > >Gentlemen,
> > >
> > >I have not been following this thread too closely so I maybe sharpening
an old saw.
> > >As a part time student in the computer science program at UB,  I am
aware that UB
> > >has a LUG  (for students only) and the infrastructure to support it.  I
also know
> > >many member in this NFLUG know UB (or ex UB students) students.  Some
of them post
> > >to NFLUG  from time to time.
> > >
> > >I think they (UBLUG) would be sympathetic to NFLUG's situation.  I
don't know what
> > >UB's overall attitude would be toward a non - profit computer club
using their
> > >facilities, but I would imagine that UB's LUG could be an ally in
obtaining UB's
> > >permission.  It could be pitched as an "educational" (emphasis)
community service.
> > >UB has an entire division call Millard Fillmore Collage that is for
continuing
> > >professional education (a.k.a. adult education) All they can say is no.
However,