Older cptrs

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 13:00:12 EST 2002

In that situation running in single user  or failsafe (failsafe defaults to
init1 , then 3 if it can and then 5 if it can, if the monitor cant handle what
the adapter is pushing though you may go to 5 and blow the monitor) get to your
/etc/inittab and change default runlevel from 5 to 3.  Then when at a console,
you can run XFdrake under console and still get a (DOS looking) menu of choices
for screen, monitor, refresh etc etc then test it from there.  Once its good ,
a simple "telinit 5"  puts you right back at kdm login!  dont give up on
Mandrake that easily, I really learned to appreciate some of it's " quirks"
doing no less than 5 installs this last few weeks, 3 from FTP, 2 from CD.  then
the upgrades, Kernel upgrades, etc etc.  I only just got NIS and autofs running
on the server (using export/home and mapping /home on the server just like a
client as suggested previously).  I am experimenting with passing the
auto.master and auto.home files over NIS.  We'll see how it works by the
meeting.

I spent the last 2 weeks rebuilding 3 machines and trying to recover those lost
hard drives, learned a lot about recovery, running in rescue mode (chroot /mnt)
and using VI, (Bob you're right VI is a MUST when doing recovery of systems).
I'm also using md0, 1, 2 for /, /usr/ export/home.  Kinda cool running Raid1.
Was actually pretty easy once I understood the diskdrake setup sequece...

I have my old box that I will build at the meeting or before if I have the
time, I am going to try to download and install the 8.2 BETA 4 if I get a
chance.

JJN