Little green lights

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Mar 4 08:05:45 EST 2002

> 	Oh, well. I may have to wipe and reinstall [what I call Washing
> Windows :-) if your windows are dirty, replace the glass, right ?]
> Regarding the Celeron box, was it actually Sound Blaster, or just
> SB compatible ? Mine is SB compatible, detected as Trident. From
> what I found out, SB compatible means many different things to
> different mfgs, especially concerning linux application drivers.

Oh please, for the love of GOD, don't format your linux box.  Your Kmixer
settings are stored in a .kde/ folder in your $HOME.  So either renaming
the .kde folder, or just removing it, will force KDE to recreate it, and
restore all KDE default settings upon the next Xwindows login.  Kmixer
settings are not global to the system, just to the user.

If you want to test this, just create a test user account, and login.
Notice the differences.

> 	Whatever Dege did at the last meeting got the CD player
> working, but that's a direct connection from audio out on the drive
> to the sound jack via a 4 strand cable, [analog all the way] not the
> IDE ribbon. It's a digital to analog conversion problem, because
> Kmedia or whatever it is, will load files and play them [shows file
> size and elapsed time running] but nothing from the speakers.

What you need to do is contact the MOBO manufacturer & query them for the
chipset info for your onboard, nonfunctioning devices.  Not knowing what
chipset your trying to configure is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me