Dail-up?

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Jul 29 10:18:22 EDT 2002

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network is the startup script that activates any Network
devices.  It looks for an ifcfg-eth* file(s) in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory.

So if you move the ifcfg-eth* files out of that directory & restart the
service (or reboot), it should prevent the NIC card from being configured.

You can also see what devices are currently configured for network
connectivity by doing /sbin/ifconfig

-Rob

> I was messing with a friends laptop over the weekend trying to get his
> laptop to use a dial-up connection. (At home he uses a network
> connection to get on line) No matter what I tried I could not get this
> thing to dial out, before we put a network card in this thing the modem
> worked fine. I am wondering if Netscape or monzilla have a setting
> somewhere that tells it when there is or is not a network connection? I
> noticed that even if you start his laptop without a network connection
> plugged in and open netscape or monzilla it thinks it's online. Anyone
> have any Idea?  Oh yea, this is Redhat 7.2
>

> Thanks

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me