Compaq Easy Access Buttons

frank pirrone fpirrone at localnet.com
Sun Jul 28 14:36:19 EDT 2002

Justin Bennett wrote:

> frank pirrone wrote:
>
> >Justin Bennett wrote:

> >>Ok I have code 174 and 176 for the down and up respectively. This is my
> >>Xmodmap from /;etc/X11, doesn't work though. Any ideas?

> >My guess is that VolDown and VolUp are meaningless to the X Window server.
> >What do you expect it to control?
> >
> >Now, if you set those codes to Left and Right and have an appropriate mixer
> >running and set to the correct volume channel, pressing those buttons should
> >raise and lower the channel gain.
> >
> >What I can't tell is that this would occur during game play.
> >
> >Frank
> >

> >--
> >This message has been scanned for viruses and
> >dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
> >and is believed to be clean.
> >

> Ok I just saw those referenced on a web page prob meaningless. I see
> many people bind them to F14 and F15 or something then setup Xmms to
> adjust based on that. I have the KDE mixer running  as an applet on the
> task bar. I can't find a configuration for it to set any function keys
> to raise and lower the volume. I'd like to have them controll the master
> if possible.

Correct, there appears to be no way to bind keycodes to that mixers controls.
Don't know what sound drivers you are running, but ALSA has a nice keyboard
controllable mixer.  Also, if you used a console mixer, you could shell out
(ctrl-alt-F2 or whatever) to adjust the setting then shell back into your x
session (ctrl-alt-F7) to resume gameplay.  However, this doesn't sound like what
you want to do.

I can't imagine all the Quakers on this list are ignoring this thread.  Surely
someone has messed with these extra keyboard buttons to control some system/game
parameters.

Frank