Compaq Easy Access Buttons

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Sat Jul 27 21:48:02 EDT 2002

frank pirrone wrote:

>Justin Bennett wrote:
>

>>frank pirrone wrote:

>>>Justin,
>>>
>>>You're looking for xev to display the x events, then bind in
>>>/etc/X11/Xmodmap.  Here's a piece of the file as an example.
>>>
>>>! global Xmodmap file -- used by both xdm and xinit (startx)
>>>
>>>! keycode and keysym remapping should generally be used only if the X
>>>! server does not use the XKEYBOARD extension (i.e., there is a uncommented
>>>
>>>! line "XkbDisable" in the keyboard section of /etc/X11/XF86Config)
>>>
>>>! i386 and alpha
>>>! keycode 22 = BackSpace
>>>! keycode 107 = Delete
>>>
>>>Frank
>>>

>>>--
>>>This message has been scanned for viruses and
>>>dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
>>>and is believed to be clean.
>>>

>>Ok I have code 174 and 176 for the down and up respectively. This is my
>>Xmodmap from /;etc/X11, doesn't work though. Any ideas?
>>

>>>!
>>>! global Xmodmap file -- used by both xdm and xinit (startx)
>>>
>>>! keycode and keysym remapping should generally be used only if the X
>>>! server does not use the XKEYBOARD extension (i.e., there is a
>>>uncommented
>>>! line "XkbDisable" in the keyboard section of /etc/X11/XF86Config)
>>>
>>>! i386 and alpha
>>>! keycode 22 = BackSpace
>>>! keycode 107 = Delete
>>>
>>>! powerpc
>>>! keycode 59 = BackSpace
>>>! keycode 125 = Delete
>>>
>>>! sparc
>>>! keycode 50 = BackSpace
>>>! keycode 73 = Delete
>>>
>>>! Euro sign support
>>>! keycode 26 = e E currency
>>>! keycode 54 = c C cent
>>>! keycode 113 = Mode_switch Mode_switch Multi_key
>>>
>>>keycode 174 = VolDown
>>>keycode 176 = VolUp
>>>~
>>>

>My guess is that VolDown and VolUp are meaningless to the X Window server.
>What do you expect it to control?
>
>Now, if you set those codes to Left and Right and have an appropriate mixer
>running and set to the correct volume channel, pressing those buttons should
>raise and lower the channel gain.
>
>What I can't tell is that this would occur during game play.
>
>Frank
>

>--
>dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
>and is believed to be clean.

Ok I just saw those referenced on a web page prob meaningless. I see
many people bind them to F14 and F15 or something then setup Xmms to
adjust based on that. I have the KDE mixer running  as an applet on the
task bar. I can't find a configuration for it to set any function keys
to raise and lower the volume. I'd like to have them controll the master
if possible.